Match Reports

Kendall Wanderers 'A' 3 - 2 First Wave

Match Statistics

BSSL Division One
Moakley Park
Kickoff Time:
4 pm
Pitch Conditions:
Pretty good.
Team Lineup:
Johnno, Brian Dana, Paddy Shields, Pat Day, Mark Smethers, Kevin Gorham, Phil Keane, Jesse Palma, Matty S, Ian Sinclair, Mark Nolan
Mo Kieta, Jonah, Anddy Sumner, James Canny, Richard
Team Formation:
4-4-2 (I think)
Goal Scorers:
Mo Kieta(2), Paddy Shields
Man of the Match:
Mo Kieta

After two wins on the bounce, Kendall A faced old foe Bukowski Tavern under their new guise as First Wave and spirits where buoyant after the solid start to the season. With Paddy Curran suspended for some erroneous ball handling the week before, a slightly tweaked Kendall rearguard started the game with a familiar midfield four anchored by the engine room of Kevin Gorham and Phil Keane operating the middle of the field. Scouse sparkplug Mark Nolan and Skippy started up top and from the outset Kendall begun brightly.

The opening exchanges where reasonably even with both teams not prepared to give up any ground or the opening goal. Kendall looked the more dangerous of the two sides and soon found some early space behind the First Wave defense. After the first 25, Mo Keita was introduced and the Kendall began to look increasingly more likely to be the first team on the score sheet. Mo's pace and Mark's tenacity began to wear down the First Wave back line and from out of nothing Mo conjured up the first goal of the game, catching the First Wave goalkeeper slightly flatfooted expecting a cross and not a wicked curling shot from a tight angle that beat him at the near post and rippled the roof of the net.

This signaled some impeccable fundamentally sound football from Kendall and with Mo ever the danger, Kendall continued to threaten. Mo broke down the left side and with the First Wave defense reeling, Paddy Shields stormed forward from his sweeper position, Paddy made up some 70 yards of ground to meet Mo's inch perfect ball across the box and guide a side footed pass into the back of the net. A goal that was a credit to some of the lung busting work put in by Paddy over the course of the game. Kendall, rampant sensed blood was in the water and pressed on. Minutes after the 2nd, Mo seizing on a loose ball on the edge of the box, dribbled across the edge of the box with not much in the way of options and just as the First Wave players thought he was wrapped up posing little threat, Mo unleashed an arcing curling shot, that started off towards Castle Island but soon took a sharp left time towards the top corner of the goal. Quite Amazing. Kendall came into the half 3-0 up with very little for the Management to be nonplussed with after a great half of team football.

As good as the first half was the second half was in stark contrast. After holding of First Wave for a good 65 minutes, cracks began to show in Kendall as players became a little tired and some of basics from the first half began to falter. What looked easy in the first half soon became difficult in the second 45 and Kendall soon found themselves with their backs against the wall even being three goals to the good. The opening First Wave goal came out of nowhere, a pretty muted non threatening attack saw the First Wave striker lash at a half chance with some ferocity that flew past Johnno in goal. It was a totally unexpected shot and caught the Kendall defense off guard as the striker pulled the trigger very early from a difficult distance in his stride. A "did that just happen moment" and the score was 3-1. Still a solid two goal lead in a game that for the majority, Kendall had bossed. However, First Wave had some momentum and soon the odd Kendall loose touch and missed pass became a pandemic, everyone was loosing out, with red shirted players coughing the ball up all over the field. Kendall couldn't stop the bleeding it seemed, the ball finding its way into the possession of First Wave with the Kendall team powerless to stop the pressure being exerted. With the midfield loosing ground in the middle, First Wave poured forward and an innocuous ball over the top led to the second First Wave goal as Johnno mistimed a volleyed clearance, leaving an empty goal for an easy finish. Hard Lines for Johnno as we all know he stops at least 3 goals a game that any other keeper in the league lets in. But at 3-2, Kendall needed to dig deep and hope the final whistle came quickly. Kendall did regain some composure and possession and closed out the game to win 3-2 and start the season with 3 wins from 3 games.

The team trudged off with frustration in the air that the game had been that close after such a good first 45, but if we are that disappointed with a win and a 100% record, I think it speaks volumes about where the bar is currently being set for the A-team.

By: Andrew Sumner

In this section

Join us

Are you interested in playing for Kendall Wanderers FC? We'd be happy to hear from you, email us at

Join the KWFC mailing list