Match Reports

Kendall Wanderers 'C' 2 - 6 Playwright

Match Statistics

BSSL Division Two
Progin Park, Lancaster, MA
Kickoff Time:
Perfect football weather
Pitch Conditions:
Team Lineup:
McFeely, Law, Queenan, Taylor, Curley, Parks, Stopforth, Kelly, Conlon, Sumner, Nyaku,YB, Regrut, Corcoran, Wood, Dromey, Killer, Jesse.
Team Formation:
Goal Scorers:
Man of the Match:
Kev Conlon - gave his all in his farewell appearance for the Kendall

Back to familiar territory, the Kendall Massive reconvened at Progin Park, with a triple-header on the cards. After last week’s Cup disappointment, the emphasis this week was on solid performance from all quarters, with possession play and ball retention primary. This, however, would likely be a tricky task given the opposition on hand - The Playwright, the Kendall C nemesis of the previous season.

With Tim away attending nuptials in yonder state, Rowan was called upon to deputise between the sticks, behind a back four of Law, Queenan, Taylor and Curley. Kev Conlon, making his farewell appearance for the Kendall, started wide on the left, with Sean and Stoppers in the centre, Dan wide on the right, and Mawuli and Andy providing the initial firepower up-front.

Playwright got the game under way in perfect conditions with a cheeky lob attempt of Rowan straight from the off. Despite a visible improvement in passing and movement from the previous game, it was Playwright who started the brighter, with their lanky, blonde midfielder spraying the ball towards the flanks to their pacey forwards. However, during the initial stages, Kendall were holding their own, and settled early, with Kev and Dan giving good width down the flanks. This though was undone by a moment of stupidity from Curley, deputising for the injured ‘El Prez’. With Taylor comfortably holding off the tricky Playwright forward, Curley needlessly dived in to concede a free-kick on the edge of the 18 yard, right side. The resulting free-kick was dinked into the area, with their lanky midfielder rising highest over a flat-footed Kendall defence to softly guide a header under the reaches of Rowan. A sloppy goal, and once again, Kendall C were on the back foot early on. However, to their credit, Kendall didn’t let the heads drop, as had happened in previous starts, and gradually started to get a handle on the game. Indeed, Stoppers was starting to boss it in midfield setting up some nice moves, with Andy and Mawuli holding the ball up well upfront. Curley and Mawuli combined for a nice one-two down the left, but the former failed to thread the resulting pass into Conlon, who had his left-foot ready to pull the trigger. Still the signs were good, and Playwright, despite their pacey forwards, were failing to break-down Taylor and Queenan in the centre of defence. This period of dominance finally paid off, with Kendall deservedly drawing level midway through the half. Stoppers won possession neatly in the middle of the park, laying the ball off for Curley, who found Dan wide on the right. Dan took off on a bee-line for the goal, beating two before being felled just inside the area – penalty Kendall!! Birthday boy Stoppers stepped up to casually slot the ball to the bottom corner – Kendall 1-1 Playwright. The pressure and intensity was kept up from the off, with Playwright failing to create anything solid in the last third. And then it was two! A lofted ball was played in from the right, a seemingly easy take for the keeper, but he bottled it, dropping it at the feet of the on-rushing Sumner. After a few seconds of helter-skelter ping-pong inside the 6 yarder, Sumner finally took control and smashed the ball to the back of the onion bag. Kendall 2-1 Playwright! A deserving first half lead, which was almost doubled right before the end of the half. A long punt from Rowan wasn’t dealt with the Playwright centre-backs with Jesse rising among them to create havoc in the area. The ball spat out kindly to Killer, on the edge of the small box, but he couldn’t find the empty goal with his side-footed effort. Still, all the signs were positive as the referee blew for half-time.

A rousing half-time team talk set the bar for the second half to come. However, it would appear most of us hadn’t even been listening, as evidenced by the embarrassing capitulation which followed straight from the whistle. Keeping possession for the first ten minutes were key for Kendall, but Playwright came racing out of the blocks and started to boss the field as they had early on in the first half. Ten minutes in, disaster struck. The nippy little Playwright winger received possession wide on the right. He drove towards goal, skipping past the half-hearted challenges of three of the Kendall back four before firing a rocket across the helpless Rowan to the bottom right corner. 2-2!

Composure was needed by all now, but Playwright really started to turn the screw, piling on the pressure and stretching the back four right across. Their dominance was telling now, with Kendall unable to clear their lines sufficiently, and midfield being given no time to settle on the ball. Then, a neat play by the Playwright number 5 got him around two Kendall players and into the box. With Rowan diving to parry the ball to safety, the Playwright player hit the deck Drogba-style, with his resulting roll sufficient to convince the referee – penalty Playwright! A cool finish from the same player, miraculously recovered, made it 3-2. Kendall heads visibly dropped, with the manner in which the goals were conceded the most disappointing factor of all. In contrast, Playwright were brimming with confidence, and a neat play down the right flank soon led to the killer blow. The right fullback released the winger down the flank. Before Conlon or Curley could get to him, he whipped in a wicked cross which was met sweetly on the volley by the on-rushing forward – 4-2 Playwright! Playwright added two more over the next ten mins, a goal from a corner squeezing past Brian at the near post and a long ball to the forward who beat Taylor and Rowan to score off the right post to condemn Kendall to a undeserved rout that given the first half heroics seemed almost impossible. The closing stages were played out for pride with Seamus and Tony getting in the mix up front, and YB smashing a rocket off the post from distance. Soon after, the referee brought the curtain down on an ugly second half performance.

Despite the early poor results leaving Kendall rooted to the bottom of the division, these results have come against the likely four top teams in the league. A two week hiatus for Memorial Day may be just in time to allow for a necessary regroup. We all know we are much better than the results so far have shown!! SO LET’S BRING IT ON!!

By: Michael Curley

In this section

Join us

Are you interested in playing for Kendall Wanderers FC? We'd be happy to hear from you, email us at

Join the KWFC mailing list