Match Reports

Kendall Wanderers 'C' 0 - 0 VFD Nomads

Match Statistics

BSSL Division Two
John Glenn Middle School, Bedford, MA
Kickoff Time:
3 pm
110% Humidity
Pitch Conditions:
35% Grass
Team Lineup:
Finley, Curley, Queenan, Taylor, Fitzgerald, Parks, Stopforth, Weibe, Marino, Sumner, Brown
Law, Wood, Corcoran, Dromey, Elliffe, Owuor, Nyaku
Team Formation:
Goal Scorers:
Man of the Match:
Anthony Owuor

It was a case of "after the Lord Mayor's show" here for a Kendall side that finally seems to be figuring out what it takes to play at the higher level.

After a resounding win a day earlier against fellow new boys Analog, the Rossineri traveled out to Bedford with a six point weekend on their mind. A strong squad had been retained from the previous day too, and contributions were needed from every player on a variable field in very hot and humid conditions.

Kendall started with confidence and played some quick and intelligent football early on, in spite of the difficult conditions. Dan Parks and Tony Owuor filled the wide midfield positions from the start and worked dilligently as full backs Law and Fitzgerald spent plenty of time in possession.

Ball was retained well by the visitors throughout the first period, but the penetration of the previous game was not as evident. With Nomads defending deep and strong Kendall had to be satisfied with a couple of long range efforts from Ronan Kilbride and Dave Stopforth, who also should have done better with a free header from a well-flighted free kick from the right.

The clearest chance of the half fell to Brian Corcoran who had come on in right midfield midway through the half. A sweeping passing move from left to right and some good hustle by Owuor found Corcoran free in the inside right position, but with a defender closing in fast he snatched at the shot and drove wide.

The first half petered out somewhat after this opportunity, the only remaining action of note coming when Nomads' tall midfielder was forced off the field and into an ambulance with an apparently serious wrist injury after an innocuous challenge at a corner. At half time the score was 0-0.

After a slight delay while the ambulance set off across the field, our heroes started the second half in determined mood. Opposition full backs were turned and corners were won, but the closest Kendall came to a tie-breaker was a left-footed shot by Parks from the edge of the area that flew just past the post.

The structured attacking play of a day earlier - purposeful forward passes and retention of possession high up the field - was sadly not as evident in this came, due in large part to the limited involvement of forward Jesse Brown (if that is his real name; sounds a bit suspect to me). Forced into the blood bin during the first half, big Jesse struggled thereafter to influence this game to the extent he had against Analog where he had been dominant.

Apart from some set-piece chances for the big guns from the back and a late flurry that saw a good chance for Dan Parks almost converted, Kendall gradually ran out of steam and the game rolled to a stop at 0-0. The players left the field disappointed at 2 points dropped against a team they knew they had the beating of, but all things considered it had been a good weekend for the Wanderers; off the bottom of the table with a solid performance that bodes well for the final game of the session against Harvard and the fall season to come.

By: David Stopforth

In this section

Join us

Are you interested in playing for Kendall Wanderers FC? We'd be happy to hear from you, email us at

Join the KWFC mailing list